Monday, October 26, 2009

One person’s definition of a beautiful design may be the complete opposite of another person’s. There are some pieces of art that leave collectors in awe, yet the majority of the population does not understand what is so special. My ideas of good and bad designs are probably going to be different from those of my readers, but here is my opinion on 4 designs.

Good:

1. 2005-2009 Ford Mustang
I have a somewhat of a biased opinion toward this example. This picture is of my personal car that I got several years ago. I chose this particular model for its unique design features. This vehicle was developed to resemble the classic Mustangs of the 1960’s. It was designed to appeal to older men who may have owned one of the original models as well as younger people like me who learned to love the style for the first time. This idea of a “retro” design was first used by Ford for the Mustang; however, it has been duplicated several more times with other car companies. Chevrolet recently re-introduced the Camaro and Dodge released an updates version of the famous Challenger. Both of these models are made to resemble the classic muscle cars of the 1960’s. Clearly, the design is one that appeals to many people because those cars have become very successful sellers for the car companies.





















2. Burj al-Arab hotel in Dubai, U.A.E.
This hotel was constructed several years ago as the tallest hotel in the world. It is the true definition of luxury with the rooms beginning at about $2,000 per night. The restaurants offer some of the finest cuisine available. While originally constructed as a hotel, it has become much more than that. It was designed to look like a sailboat in the middle of the sea. It is one of the most recognizable landmarks of the region and it is what most people associate with the country. When I tell people I went to Dubai, they say they have no heard of it. I then say it is the place with the sailboat hotel and most people realize that they, indeed, have, heard of it. The Burj al-Arab is even seen on some of the license plates of cars in Dubai.


Bad:

1. Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner
My sister gave me this device that she was supposed to test in her home. I was excited about it as I thought that it would help cut down on the time I spend cleaning my shower. However, after I installed it, a major problem arose. The unit hangs down under the showerhead. Well, I like to stand right under the water, but the unit blocks me from doing that. I have to angle the showerhead in order for me to get wet. Because of this, I do not use the automatic cleaner anymore. I am thinking it might be a good idea to hang it from a hook on the opposite side of the shower.








2. All plastic cases that snap closed
Someone thought these were a great invention. The entire case can be molded out of plastic with no additional parts. This cuts time and production cost. The clasps that keep the case closed are molded right into the case. All that attaches them is a thin, flexible row of plastic. Inevitably, after much use, these clasps become brittle and crack. They then break off a few uses later. Well, after they are broke off, what keeps the case closed? Nothing, that’s what. The case is basically ruined because the manufacturer wanted to keep costs down. This is exactly what is happening to my Dremil case. One snap is halfway broken off. The other one still holds fast, but for how long? I open that case about once a day, so I don’t have much time left before it becomes useless.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you are talking about with the case snap and the shower cleaner. I get so mad about bad designs like that. That hotel is pretty cool and has a good design!

    ReplyDelete